COIT’s Guide to Getting Marker Out of Carpet
On the quest to keep our home’s carpeting clean, it’s nearly impossible to avoid some kind of dirt build-up. When we’re on the go, we track dirt and dust from the outside into our carpet that can be removed with regular vacuuming.
But what about tougher stains, like markers? How should you handle those types of stains?
If you come across a marker stain and are wondering how to remove marker from carpet, let COIT’s simple guide help you out. By following the steps outlined below, you’ll be able to execute a few do-it-yourself solutions that will keep your carpet looking its best.
Remove Permanent Marker from Carpet – Method # 1
- Take a can of oil-free hairspray and pour a generous amount of it onto a white cloth.
- Firmly dab the marker stain.
- Repeat as necessary until the marker stain is no longer visible.
How to Get Marker Out of Carpet – Method # 2
- As soon as you discover the marker stain, use a clean cloth to blot up any marker off the surface. If the marker stain is wet and you act fast, you may be able to blot up some of the coloring before it sets into the carpet fibers.
- Apply a generous amount of dish soap to a wet, clean cloth and blot the stain.
- The marker stain should start to gradually fade as you apply pressure to the affected area.
Getting Rid of Marker Stains on Carpet – Method # 3
This following solution involves using a carpet cleaner you can buy online or at places like Wal-Mart.
- Upon finding the marker stain, purchase Oops Stain Remover. This is a powerful citrus-based cleaner.
- Shake the product well before opening.
- Apply some Oops Stain Remover to the stained area of the carpet.
- Let the solution soak into the carpet for approximately 60 seconds.
- Blot the area with a clean cloth. The marker stain should begin to transfer from the carpet to the cloth, leaving a clean carpet behind. Purchasing this easy-to-use product will help you tackle the question of how to get marker out of carpet.
Marker Stain Removal – Method # 4
This is another way to utilize store-bought products to remove marker stains.
- Purchase Motsenbocker Lift Off # 3 Stain Remover. This product is specifically designed to treat pen, ink and marker stains.
- Spray the affected are with the stain remover.
- Using a clean cloth, blot the marker stain until it starts to gradually fade.
And there you have it – a few simple ways to eliminate marker stains. If the marker stain is too heavy or too large to remove yourself, consider COIT’s professional carpet cleaning services and don't forget to checkout our coupons! Using commercial grade equipment, our team of technicians can target high traffic areas and remove tough-to-handle carpet stains.
Remember to always do a spot removal test on a portion of carpet or upholstery that is normally not visible. These are suggested treatments only and COIT can't be held accountable for any damage sustained by use of the treatments in this spot removal guide.