COIT’s Guide to Removing Ketchup Stains from Carpet
Looking for effective ways to keep your carpet ketchup free? If you encounter a ketchup stain and need a few do-it-yourself solutions that are quick and effective, COIT can help.
With COIT’s guide to get ketchup out of carpet, a few unexpected ketchup stains won’t last long.
How to Remove Ketchup Stain from Carpet – Method # 1
- To get ketchup out of carpet, start by scraping off any remaining ketchup from the carpet fibers using knife.
- Take one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid and mix it with 2 cups of cool water.
- Sponge the stain with a white cloth that’s soaked in this solution.
- Blot the ketchup stain, slowly absorbing the liquid and the stain.
- Repeat the above mentioned steps until the ketchup stain has disappeared.
- Rinse the stain with cold water to remove any cleaning solution residue.
Up to 50% off Residential cleaning services - Find discounts in your area!
How to Get Ketchup Out of Carpet – Method # 2
- Vacuum any excess ketchup off the carpet as soon as you discover the stain. If you rub the stain, this will cause the ketchup to set into the carpet fibers even more, so avoid rubbing!
- If you don’t have a vacuum, a spatula works as well when you’re wondering how to remove ketchup stain from carpet.
- Spray the ketchup stain with a store-bought laundry pre-spray solution. Leave the stain to soak up the solution for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After 15 to 20 minutes has passed, vacuum the solution for a second time.
- Rinse the affected area of the carpet with warm water.
- If the carpet looks clean, you’re all set. If you still see any residue on your carpet, continue with the steps below when tackling the question of how to get ketchup out of carpet.
- Mix 4 parts warm water with 1 cup of ammonia in a spray bottle.
- Shake the bottle very well.
- Spray the ketchup stain 3 to 4 times and begin scrubbing with a toothbrush.
- Vacuum the solution with a wet/dry vacuum after scrubbing for 10 to 15 additional seconds.
- Pour warm water over the affected area to rinse the ammonia solution.
How to Get Ketchup Out of Carpet
Remember, if you can get to the ketchup stain quickly, it’s less likely to settle into your carpet’s fibers – so act fast. If your ketchup stains are more severe and need more than household stain removal techniques, COIT carpet cleaners can show you how to get ketchup out of carpet. We’ll use a professional, truck-mounted cleaning system to remove the toughest of carpet stains.
Learn more about COIT professional carpet cleaning services and don't forget to checkout our coupons!
Remember to always do a spot removal test on a portion of carpet or upholstery that is normally not visible. These are suggested treatments only and COIT can't be held accountable for any damage sustained by use of the treatments in this spot removal guide.