COIT’s Guide to Removing Paint Stains from Carpet
When you’re painting the interior of your house, the last thing you want left behind is spilled paint on carpet. But if a few carpet stains manage to sneak through, have no fear, do-it-yourselfers – there is a solution.
With COIT’s Guide to removing paint stains from carpet, you’ll have step-by-step instructions to help you tackle tough spots. Remember to always do a spot removal test on a portion of carpet or upholstery that is normally not visible.
How to remove water-based paint stains from carpet:
- If the paint stain is still wet, simply blot the spot with a wet paper towel - don’t scrub, just blot.
- If the paint stain is dry, use hot water and a little bit of dish detergent. Let the solution sit for a few minutes to soften the paint.
- Once the paint is softened, use a knife or pin to scrape the paint stain. Continue to add more solution as you scrape.
- If the paint is still not softening, consider using a handheld steamer while you scrape to eventually remove the paint stain from the carpet.
How to remove latex paint stains from carpet:
- Blot the spot to remove as much wet paint as possible – don’t scrub, or you’ll push the paint further down into the carpeting.
- Mix a cup of lukewarm water with one teaspoon of dishwashing detergent – just make sure the detergent is mild.
- Work from the outside of the paint stain to the inside, gently blotting the affected area.
- After letting the area dry completely, follow up by vacuuming.
How to remove oil based stains from carpet:
- If the paint stain is dry, you’ll want to use a steamer to soften the stain.
- Apply steam directly to the stain.
- Simultaneously pick at the paint stain with a needle or a pin to try and break it up.
- Continue until stain is removed, without damaging fibers.
So the next time you see a paint stain in your carpet, follow these handy ways to eliminate it in minutes.
Is that carpet paint stain still lingering? For more advanced carpet cleaning that requires deeper, professional care, consider COIT Carpet Cleaning services.
Remember to always do a spot removal test on a portion of carpet or upholstery that is normally not visible. These are suggested treatments only and COIT can't be held accountable for any damage sustained by use of the treatments in this spot removal guide.