COIT’s Guide to Removing Ink Stains from Carpet
Keeping household carpet clean is no easy task. From dirt, to food, to ink stains on carpet, your living room, bedrooms, and hallways are put to the test every day of the week.
So how do you get rid of annoying ink stains that leave your carpet looking dirty? The first step is to take action on the ink stain as soon as possible. The drier the ink, the harder it is to remove, so don’t hesitate once you discover it.
Using COIT’s Guide to removing ink stains from carpet, you’ll have step-by-step instructions to help you tackle tough spots.
How to Remove Ball Point Ink Stains from Carpet
If you have natural-fiber carpet, follow these steps to remove the ink stain:
- Buy two cans of cheap lacquer hair spray - you may need this much depending on how quickly the stain disappears.
- Spray the hairspray onto the ink stain . This will soften the ink.
- Using a white cloth towel, blot the lacquer. Do not scrub the stain; instead, repeat this process until the ink stain disappears.
- Once the area is dry, hand-brush the affected area and then vacuum. This should remove any traces of lacquer.
How to Remove Permanent Ink Stains from Carpet
- Moisten the ink stain with either rubbing alcohol or non-oily hairspray.
- Once you begin to lightly blot the ink stain from the carpet, you should start to see the color transfer onto the towel.
- Once the area is stain-free, dab the area with a towel dipped in lukewarm water.
If this method doesn’t remove all of the permanent ink stain from your carpet, repeat the above steps using hairspray (note that these methods can dramatically reduce the appearance of the ink stain, but some permanent markers are in fact permanent!)
How to Remove Water-Based Ink Stains from Carpet
- Mix 1 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid with lukewarm water.
- Dab a towel into water, then dab the towel onto the ink stain .
- Repeat this process until stain has disappeared.
Is that carpet ink stain still lingering? For more advanced carpet cleaning that requires deeper, professional care, consider COIT Carpet Cleaning services.
Remember to always do a spot removal test on a portion of carpet or upholstery that is normally not visible. These are suggested treatments only and COIT can't be held accountable for any damage sustained by use of the treatments in this spot removal guide.