COIT's Guide on How to Remove Vomit Stains from Carpet
Whether you have a pet at home or happen to get sick yourself, sometimes there’s nothing you can to do to prevent vomit stains. The carpet is certainly not the most ideal place for this to happen, but then again, every type of stain is a bit of a nuisance, right?
Removing Vomit from Carpet
Before you convince yourself that your carpet is ruined, remember that there are do-it-yourself ways to conquer removing vomit from carpet. One of these methods involves using handy-dandy corn starch.
How to Remove Vomit from Carpet Using Corn Starch
- As soon as you discover the vomit stain, scrape off as much of it as possible. If you have a scraper, this is the best tool to use.
- Sprinkle a bit of corn starch directly onto the affected area of the carpet. Be sure to use enough so the stain is completely covered.
- Let the corn starch sit there for 10 to 15 minutes. This should help absorb the vomit from the carpet.
- With a clean cloth, apply dry cleaning solvent. Effective brands of dry cleaning solvent include Dryel and Dry Cleaner’s Secret.
- Follow by blotting the stain until all of the dry cleaning solvent has been absorbed. After completing this step, it’s likely that the vomit stain will no longer be visible.
- If you still see remnants of the stain, mix one tablespoon of white vinegar with one tablespoon of dishwashing detergent, and 2 cups of warm water. Sponge the stain.
- Rinse the carpet with cold water to remove the solution.
How to Clean Vomit from Carpet
Another more basic answer to the question of how to remove vomit from carpet comes in the form of carpet shampoo. Applying carpet shampoo according to the specific brand’s instructions is another option to try.
How to Clean Vomit from Carpet Using Hydrogen Peroxide
You may even be able to leverage your medicine cabinet when trying to remove vomit stains from carpet. Hydrogen peroxide can be poured over the affected area on the carpet. It will fizz, which allows it to deep clean the carpet and remove the stain.
How to Remove Vomit from Carpet Using Nature’s Miracle
Still looking for another way to see how to remove vomit from carpet? Give a product called Nature’s Miracle a shot. It’s actually a pet stain remover that can be used to tackle tough vomit stains. Apply this store-bought solution to the vomit stain to keep your carpet in good shape.
You can also learn how to clean vomit from carpet by using a few other household products, like Woolite or Febreze.
- Remove any remaining vomit from the carpet using a spatula. Be sure to look into the carpet fibers to verify that you’re not leaving residue behind.
- Empty into a plastic bag and dispose.
- Coat the vomit stain with Shout stain removing spray, using a scrub brush.
- Follow up by applying a rug spray like Woolite or Resolve directly onto the affected area.
- After scrubbing, rinse the carpet with cold water.
- Blot up any remaining water.
If you find that the vomit stain is just too hard to handle, give COIT Carpet Cleaning a call. Our advanced cleaning techniques will make sure you don’t have to worry about how to clean vomit from carpet. Learn more about our 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Remember to always do a spot removal test on a portion of carpet or upholstery that is normally not visible. These are suggested treatments only and COIT can't be held accountable for any damage sustained by use of the treatments in this spot removal guide.